Tuesday, April 11, 2017

Week 1 EOC: Best and Worst jobs

Best and Worst jobs,

       It's always easy to talk about our negative job experiences and all the positions we've held that were less than desirable. However I have a few jobs that I enjoyed, back in 2012 I moved to Nevada and started working for the City of Henderson as a Preschool Teacher. Sounds stressful, but being around children at that age is refreshing and somewhat unspoiled. The honesty behind their actions, the pureness of their energy was amazing. Those kids had no filter and my co-workers and I spent most of the day laughing, I got to see them grow from not knowing their ABC's to being able to completely write their full name, address and parents phone number's. everyday was a fun time with those little people and the smiles and stories I got from them, I will never forget.  Now moving to one of my worst jobs was a position I held with Carmax, I was the DMV Title Administrator. This job was by far the absolute worst job I've ever had in my life, and the work itself wasn't to blame, it was in large part due to the company and the way they allowed superiors to treat employees. To explain the conditions, well I'd end up with a novel, a small example for one of the things my supervisor would do for "fun" is, if you had a vacation day scheduled next Thursday, they would make you work Thursday through Wednesday, until your vacation day came. Not because of shift coverage, simply because they could. Many small petty things like that, if someone needed to leave and pick their child from school, or last minute family issue, they wouldn't be allowed to leave EVEN when were fully staffed and it was slow. It was just a horrible environment. Other than those two, my jobs have been pretty moderate, I enjoyed them but they wouldn't make Forbes top places to work. I did love working at this sports bar in Oklahoma where i tended bar, that position was a lot of fun and never a dull moment. Retail is one of my most non enjoyable memories, shocking considering my degree, but again it goes back to management, not the workload. I was a Manager in training at an Express, however my superior treated me as if I were her personal assistant, she never taught me the functions of the store, so when the district manager would visit and ask me questions I looked incompetent. I just remember hating having to go into work everyday. All of these jobs gave me great experiences and I've taken away something from each position I held.

No comments:

Post a Comment